Storms ruled the first thousand years of life.
By the time I claimed my room, I turned into a zombie...
Suspended somewhere between the worlds within and outside...
Vaguely aware of either...
But then, existence needs more meaning, and spectacles need a windowpane...
Right here, I found mine…

Who am I? An average woman - trying to work on my share of maze through layers of haze...

Friday, November 10, 2017

The Bookworm

Source: Flickr

There lives a bookworm at my home,
He reads of spaceships, gnome, genome,
Potatoes are his choicest dish,
Accompanied with steak or fish.

And when he plans a rare day-out,
To the old bookshop he heads out,
Sometimes I too tag along,
Some books smell like ancient song.

He buys me pastries and donut,
And grabs a coffee steaming hot,
At the corner of a café calm,
Books adorn his happy palm.

On weekends what does bookworm do?
He cuts all ties with his shoe,
A blanket, pillow, cozy bed,
He’d read away the whole weekend.

The bookworm loves to write as well,
His pen is like a kite in sail,
Across the threads of time and space,
His thoughts gallop to build a maze.

On birthdays he will buy you books,
Anniversaries? Why, more books!
Oceans of words, or sky maybe,
His heart is never too heavy.

My bookworm is a daddy now,
His specs shake under baby’s paw,
Books stare at him, so does the boy,
They laugh out loud and play with toy.

But baby’s growing really fast,
Soon the books will shed their dust,
We’ll curl up then, all us three,
And read and write like skylarks free!

Originally published in Lit Up.

2 comments:

  1. A refreshing poem about a bookworm. I quite enjoyed his story, the journey from books to fatherhood. It made me a tad nostalgic about what seems now like my previous life. There are books in my house —a whole lot of them unread (and un-reread) and there is a worm too, but the link between the two is severed. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure this is just another phase, Uma. You're a prolific writer, and you have the amazing self-discipline to regularly read (and provide feedback on) the works of your fellow writers. How can your world be so distant from that of books? I hope life will give you back your space soon.
      Thanks for leaving that comment. I've a lot to learn from you.

      Delete