Storms ruled the first thousand years of life.
By the time I claimed my room, I turned into a zombie...
Suspended somewhere between the worlds within and outside...
Vaguely aware of either...
But then, existence needs more meaning, and spectacles need a windowpane...
Right here, I found mine…

Who am I? An average woman - trying to work on my share of maze through layers of haze...

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Pipi's Summer (Part-I)









When Pipi finally saw a REAL train, she was SO UPSET that she hardly knew whether she still wanted to travel to mamabari!

Well, it was a chain of boxes alright - and that too with doors, windows and wheels which her matchbox-train didn’t have. But as luck would have it, they expected Pipi to sit IN a box, and not ON it!

Pipi went all grumpy while Ma and Papa carried her into one of the boxes and got her seated beside a window.  The scariest of beds - high and still higher - hung all around. Although no one told her about it, didn’t Pipi know for sure that all the naughty kids would be put on the uppermost beds, and they could NEVER EVER come down unless they turned really good!

Then Papa touched Pipi's chin, ran his hands through the curly mess of her hair, asked her to be a lokkhi meye and walked away. Even before she could start wondering, Papa was standing on the OTHER side of the window and waving at them.

Now the box was full of uncles and aunties Pipi had never met before. So she started with a soft whimpering – and saved bawling for later.  But Papa still showed no sign of moving back to HER side of the window. Rather, the floor started swinging, there was a LOUD and LOOOONG whistle, and Papa just shifted slowly out of the window WITHOUT moving his legs!  To think of that Papa had never bothered to tell Pipi that he had a REAL pair of roller shoes!




Of course, Pipi bawled out loud this time – and why would she stop unless Papa was back? But Ma wiped her tears away with a pink towel-hanky that smelt REALLY good, and told her that Papa would join them in a day or two.  Pipi chose to believe her. 



Meanwhile it was getting dark outside. Wind blew in through her window, and lights and giant shades ran in a MAD rush outside the box. Had the train entered a MAGIC tunnel? – wondered Pipi. For quite some time, she was excited and curious. But the tunnel seemed endless! And who knew, it could stretch right up to her mamabari! She turned her attention to the uncles and aunties around, somewhat sad that they’d all go away to their own mamabari-s, NEVER to meet her again, once the train reached its station.

So she walked up to the first bed of her box and introduced herself – “I am Pipi and I am going to my mamabari for the FIRST time. My mamabari has Dadu, Dida, Boro Mama, Mejo Mama, Oli Didi, Riku Dada, Chhoto Mashi, and… and… ” She paused to remember ALL the names Ma had told her. But everyone around giggled and pressed her cheeks SO hard that Pipi got all messed up. An auntie even tried to lift her to her lap and offered her some toffees! Didn’t Pipi immediately know that she was a REAL kidnapper! So she hurried off to the other beds, where the uncles and aunties opened their eyes WIDE in surprise when she told them that her Shona Mama could play a REAL mandolin, and no one there tried to kidnap her. 

Finally Pipi came to the bed where a knight sat reading a book. On the opposite bed, Snow White munched an apple. They had hair of gold and blue eyes, and were taller than ANYONE Pipi had seen in her ENTIRE life! Pipi was so astonished that she stood looking at them for a long time, and yet couldn’t decide whether banana milk shake would be fairer than them! Finally, she ran back to Ma and asked her to come and have a REALLY good look at them so that they could find such a boy for her to marry. But Ma burst out laughing and no one knew why!

Pipi went SO grumpy that she HERSELF asked Ma to put her on the highest and scariest bed, and she lay there all by herself, occasionally making faces at the naughty boy sitting on another scary-bed some beds away. Luckily, the boy replied by rolling his tongue in and out, pulling his right earlobe down with his left hand, and the left one with his right. That was by far the BEST new thing Pipi had learnt in that entire day, and she couldn’t WAIT to show it to Papa once he met them at mamabari!

Shortly, Ma climbed up to lie beside Pipi, and she right away went to sleep hugging her SO tight that Pipi could no longer sit up to look  around. With nothing else to do, she thought and thought. Were ALL babies born with black eyes, and did only a few pair of eyes ripen later to become blue, brown or green? If it indeed DID work that way, would Pipi’s eyes turn blue as well when she grew up? Wouldn’t enough talcum powder make her look fairer than Snow White? 

Finally, when it came to the hair of gold – Pipi missed Papa again. She had questions to ask – and they were important ones. But Papa wasn’t there. And all her thoughts had left Pipi in yawns. So she dug her face into her Ma’s neck and cuddled up under the blanket.

The train, the first real train Pipi had ever seen, then rocked her away to the land of sleep.  

Notes and Translations:

Mamabari: Mother’s home or maternal uncles’ place.
lokkhi meye: Good girl
Dadu: Maternal grandpa
Dida: Maternal grandma
Mama: Maternal uncle (mother’s brother)
Mashi: Maternal auntie (mother’s sister)
Boro: Eldest
Mejo: Second eldest
Chhoto: Youngest
Didi: Elder sister or female cousin
Dada: Elder brother or male cousin

27 comments:

  1. cute fantasy....would have liked it to be a lil more lengthy though..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback ma'am :-). It's the first time I tried my hands at comic illustrations. Considered it safer to start with a short and simple story :-).

      Delete
  2. A cute little story :) It reminded me of the picture books I used to read as a child. It apparently seems easy to write something from a child's point of view, but is actually not. It is in this that you have excelled. And your representation of a child's though process has been perfectly complemented with your sweet illustrations. Welcome to the arena of fiction :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - lovely review Riddhiman. Thanks. And thanks for reminding me the word 'Picture Book'. Had a hard time trying to categorize it - especially for the blog forums :-).

      Delete
  3. Aravind10:18 PM

    Good one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aravind :-). Expected some vivid comments from you though.

      Delete
  4. So when are the next parts being published? :-D
    To me, a much more enjoyable read when compared to everything else..
    Loved the details like Pipi's little feet when her father waves at her, or the little teddy bear that she clutches while she looks at snow white, or as I've said earlier, the ER on the train!
    And who could have imagined you still have that link to your childhood that most of us have lost!
    Why, this is how a little girl would have thought: "sit IN a box, and not ON it" and think of the roller skates!
    It doesn't matter if the blog forums have some keywords to categorize this or not, but welcome back to childhood and you can add another kudos to your account :-P
    Waiting for more!
    PS: If you take requests, then can you also make it rain the next time?? Time to play my OZ.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you like it, Ratna, since you were the sole trigger for me to venture into FUN :-). I've had some really happy moments while working on the pictures and the story - retracing the path back to some of my earliest imaginations and confusions (as if my confusions ever ended :p).

      Rain - that's a lovely suggestion I could work on. And I actually had to look up the internet to know what 'play my OZ' means :p.

      Delete
  5. Posting the link to the reviews earned by this post on WritersCafe:
    http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/windowpane/1139719/

    ReplyDelete
  6. bheeshon daarun likhechen .
    superb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pictures are worth thousands of words, it’s nice to see the attention to detail from your end. Thanks From How they do that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you liked the post :-). Thanks a lot.

      Delete
  8. Antara, that is beautiful, pictorial writing from a child's perspective. So convincing are the sensitivities that I could almost feel like Pipi while I read the story! It is a wonderful, lilting little piece not unlike Pipi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Umashankar. It means a lot to be appreciated by a writer so aesthetically creative as you :-).

      Delete
  9. Anonymous12:22 PM

    I read it - then I asked my Dad to read it and finally I took my mom to through "this train journey"! It's not the end finally my little nephew and niece - they enjoyed it thoroughly! well the youngest reader(a 5 yr old kid) demanded a colorful picture! :) All the best- I liked the way it is represented - Archita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll appoint you as my marketing/advertisement manager if I ever decide to go for professional writing :D! This comment made my day. Thanks to auntie, uncle, the little ones and you :-). I apologize to the youngest reader - will surely try my hands at colorful illustrations soon :-).

      Delete
  10. Dear it was awesome... very well presented and moreover i could relate ur piece of presentation with that of R.K Narayan's works'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm flattered, Ajanta :-). But R.K. Narayan's works probably target an older age group as compared to this piece. Not sure about it though - I didn't read much of him beyond the beautiful set of stories in Malgudi Days.

      Delete
  11. Devapriya3:26 PM

    loved it...so quaint and the illustrations are just too lovely for words!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it Devapriya :-). Working on this was pure fun unlike my previous posts :-).

      Delete
  12. Itishree7:47 AM

    hmmmmmm... i went back to my bachpan...loads n loads of Qs of innocence and no one ther eto answer all :D:D.. Absolutely Awesome article as alwayz!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Antara,

    I had read this blog the moment I saw I was tagged in it. But I procrastinate, and hence you my feedback on this after so long! Apologies.
    I absolutely loved reading it. This is very good writing indeed. The thoughts you have shown Pipi having are truly innocent... eye colors ripening, sitting 'on' a train, and many more, there were so many places where it made me smile. It was child like and entertaining at the same time.
    So good job Antara! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:07 AM

    I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.
    I don't know who you are but certainly you're going to a famous blogger if you are
    not already ;) Cheers!

    my web page ... working online from home

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sketch is awesome. I would like to visit rest of the blog only for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, many thanks Subhasish. I've been very irregular in maintaining this blog, and right now I'm feeling a little sorry for my laziness :(.

      Delete